Tuesday, June 3, 2008

It's Market Day!


I found this wonderful community garden close to where I live! Our family has been going almost every Saturday. There are chickens just roaming around, horses, and ducks, and a couple of cats (not my favorite animal)!!

Lexy is know as the hippie, she loves being out there. The horses, well really all the animals like Lexy. This horse comes to the gate when Lexy calls him. She feeds him and talks to him. Maybe one day she'll have one of her own. The horses have not been ridden in a long time so she can't ride them.

Avery and Ella are both "Condo" girls. Avery can't stand the heat and Ella does not like the bugs or when the grass gets in her shoes! And Isaac is "squawker" because every time he sees the chickens one of the roosters looks at him and lets out the loudest crow you've ever heard, and Isaac squawks really loud at him. Weird I know but you have to see it to believe it. This is the rooster that makes him squawk.

We've helped to maintain the community garden. There are a lot of herbs in there. This weekend we will go harvest a few things to sell in the Farmer's Market this Saturday. Also there are local vendors that sell veggies, fruit, bread, eggs, chicken, and now beef. All the goods are organic, pesticide free, and the animals are all free range with no hormones. Did you know there was a season for meat? I didn't, we've learned so much from this place.
We've learned to place plants in a seaweed mixture to help it before planting in the location you choose. Also there are nematodes to help with flea control in your yard instead of using harmful chemicals.

Our market day is this Saturday. I'm posting the link to Eden's Organic Garden, if your in the area or not, come by. Two weeks ago there was a new vendor from an organic blackberry farm just located down the road. They do offer tours so I'll let you know when we go.

http://www.edensorganicgardencenter.com/

This is Marie she has turned her residence into the garden's we go to. She has opened up her land for the community to use. She wants everyone to access good quality, organic food at affordable prices.

No comments: