
I was cleaning out my closet the other day and decided to sale my school books. About a year ago I decided to stop studying for my nursing degree. I had such a huge conviction in my heart about leaving my kiddos for a couple of hours a day, in the evening, to go to school. I also needed studying time which made me resort to letting the kids watch ungodly amounts of TV. I know it sounds bad but I was on a mission to finish. I was so busy and I was homeschooling my then first grader. After a month of going to school Tino and I decided it would be better for everyone to stay home where I was greatly needed. So I piled up all the kids in the car and we drove to my school and I took the kids in the counseling center and they watched me drop my classes. My oldest was 11, and she cried as I did it, she kept telling me she didn't understand why I would give up my dream. The other three were to young to even know what I was doing. I told her that God gave me my precious children that I had spent hours praying for and for two out of four of them I would spend countless hours visiting them in the hospital for the first 3-6 months of their lives. God had blessed our family with them and I felt as if God was telling me " I gave you these children, no one else, why are you leaving them for your own selfish gain? Do you not trust in me? After all I have given you?" Tough to hear but so true. Why would I leave these sweet little children who needed their mommy to tuck them in at night and read to them? To be there as they ate dinner and talk about our day to daddy. God had saved my children from death, why couldn't I trust him to be our provider in our finances? In my own selfish mind I had rationed going to school by thinking that I would make more money for our family, I, I, I! Never thinking once how I was effecting our family, what would they remember of their mommy, and for a time they can second. I know that one day my children will make great sacrifices for their family but I pray that they will know that it can be done, and that God will bless them through it. Just as He has provided for our every need, above and beyond what we ever thought. However, as I sold my books I was overcome by great sadness. I guess I was holding on to them thinking maybe later but now they are gone, along with my dream. But I have the most amazing healthy strong, lovable, sweet, smart, God loving children, not to mention a man who spoils me rotten, and a God who sacrificed His only son for me, what else do I really need? As I write this I am still filled with sadness but as my children are running around the house in their PJ's and singing "Oh where is my hairbrush", I am so thankful that they can have the freedom to be kids and lounge in their PJ's on a cold winter morning. What a great life God has given me!


6 comments:
Judy STOP, you made me all teary eyed!! I am so PROUD of you. For so many things but especially for Trusting our Lord! Your kids will rise up and call you BLESSED!!!
What a great purpose for your life. God's vision for you has always been bigger than a career. I am proud of you for laying aside your dreams in order to fully embrace the will of God. One day those kids will be grown and maybe you will have time to pursue that dream or maybe God will give you a new dream.
Gretchen
Judy you are a wonderful mom and God has blessed you more than you know! Your trust in Him is so important and your children will witness it. Hang in there, momma! Love you, Danielle
I understand the sadness. You're finally letting something go, for now. It takes an incredible amount of courage to do what you did. And you are still SO young and who knows you may decide to go back someday after the kids are older (which at that point your books may be outdated ;)? You are brave and you are an amazing mom, your kids will be better for all of your focused time and attention. And hats off to Tino for giving you the encouragement to stay at home and homeschool.
What a fantastic post, Judy. I'm taken back at it. I don't even know what to say in response. I'm humbled by your sweet heart attitude to the call God has put in you to lay down your nursing dream to trust him by staying with your babies.
xo
Judy, I was telling Paul about this post. He wanted me to be sure to tell you how wonderful I think it is. I think it's WONDERFUL! I hope that Lexi and the other kids see how much they mean to you and that raising them to know and love God is a worthy dream.
Amber
Post a Comment