We have never celebrated Halloween. Ever since Lexy was a little girl we never took her trick or treating, or even dress up. Over the years we would just go to a church carnival and play games and get candy there. Well this year since Lexy is 12 now she tends to ask the hard questions. Like why do we really not celebrate Halloween? When she was little we would just tell her that we as parents didn't like the holiday and felt a strong conviction to not take part in this holiday. So this year that answer did not work for her. I'm so happy that she's asking these questions, however, it makes me as a mom to back up what I believe and so I went out and bought a book called The Facts on Halloween. It was a great read and very informative. So when she asked, and let me just tell you now the girl asked everyday, about Halloween, I was ready. I make her lunch in the morning and put in a little 3X5 note card in her lunch with scripture or an encouraging word from me to get her through the day. So this past week on my note card for her I put a fact about Halloween, and when I picked her up from school she would ask me about it. It was a conversation piece at lunch for her and her friends. It is hard for her to understand completely our conviction about the holiday but I want her to think on her own and experience God on her own and start to develop her own convictions about the temptations that will come and not just know she can't because we say SO!! She got invited to several parties for Halloween from friends at school, to all which I told her that we would not let her participate in. She was very upset and I completely understand, so I had to offer an alternative. So I came up with having a family night in! I made invitations for all the kids and posted them on their door with tape. They were all given a R.S.V.P card as well as a suggestion card for our night in. Avery was so excited she suggested we watch a movie, play twister, and drink tea. She was the first to respond. Lexy never responded. Isaac and Ella kept asking me who's party it was and I told them it was the Liscano family party. So last night we made homemade pizza's that were amazing. Each kid made their own. Thanks Vicki for the help on that!

We also made carmel apples while we waited for the pizza's to cook. They were so delicious!




We played Twister, and watched the new Tinkerbell movie. We did have a great time and I think Lexy secretly enjoyed it. These preteen years are very trying right now but it is a work in progress.
2 comments:
that's so incredibly proactive and cool of you, Judy. I love that you didn't give her any pat answers but really sought out why you feel the way that you do. And I esp. love that you're trying to lay the groundwork and then allowing God to deal with Lexy and giving her room to form her own personal convictions for what she believes. You are an awesome and inspiring Mom.
Thanks for sharing this, it's good to hear the "inside" stuff. We've also decided not to celebrate Halloween, but come up with a family night alternative. Good for you for really presenting Lexy with solid answers. When she get older she will be grateful that she has parents who live out of their convictions. You're awesome.
Btw, I would still love to help you decorate your living room! Email me and we can get together.
Post a Comment